Taking the tech beat to the next level

If I were to assume, without any research, what group of people has the best online resources or methods to connect with each other, the tech community would be my first guess.

I believe that’s an intriguing question, but maybe you’re already thinking of numerous smartphone apps and tech news sites that do that job well – TechCrunch? Cnet? Mashable? AlleyWatch? GeekWire?

Well, do they? Do they really help connect technology professionals and enthusiasts? Do they provide engaging, clear and informative content? Do they offer enough resources on their web or mobile platforms to assist their audience further their knowledge and improve their skills?

I don’t know the answer to that, but I am determined to do some research and find out. If I find a gap or flaw worth exploring, the tech community might become the target of my first startup idea.

Although I don’t have a specific plan yet, since a great deal of research and planning will be needed, I do have a few vague ideas of what could work in a new tech news enterprise. I’ll list those ideas in a second, but first let me tell you why I am considering this community.

Over the past several weeks, I have learned in Studio 20 that a journalism organization should provide more than just content. It should offer resources and a platform for people with shared interests to connect with each other. The idea of merging news, resources and networking on one platform would, and already does, work in the tech community. Just visit TechCrunch, for instance, and you’ll see a variety of tech news stories (content), an events calendar (networking) and a jobs board (resource). There are many other tech websites with similar features, and that shows that the tech community is likely engaging and hungry for such services.

TechCrunch’s events page: techcrunch.com/events

Another advantage of working with technology enthusiasts is the revenue potential. Forgive me for assuming, and I promise I will do some research on it, but I think those who visit tech news sites often read about new products, gadgets and services. And many of them probably consider spending money on the items they just read about. Now the possibilities open up: e-commerce, sponsored content, targeted advertising, commerce links and others. It may sound like a cheap idea, I know, but why should I launch my first startup in a field with little revenue potential?

Anyway, here are some things I think this new tech news enterprise would feature:

1. Mobile-first
    All content, resources, networking features and other components of this tech news startup would be created for mobile first. Then, all of it would be adapted to the desktop site. This would allow my team to experiment with virtual reality, augmented reality, 360° video and other emerging storytelling features.
  2. Audio
    Every single article would come with a “Listen” option. That feature provides a convenient option for drivers or those who don’t feel like reading a somewhat long article to still take advantage of the app and be informed. Logistically, that means the startup would hire at least one person with a good, clear and engaging voice to read every article BEFORE it’s published.
  3. NYC-focused
    The startup, at least in the beginning, would focus on the tech community in New York City. It would feature, for instance, new products or services being developed in the City or by New Yorkers. I believe this would help make the business plan more feasible and keep the community closer together.
  4. Events
    This startup would not only help the community promote its own events in the New York City area, but it would host its own, such as meet-ups, expos, panel discussions, presentations and debates. Events help promote the company, bring in revenue and connect the community, but it would also help us collect data about our audience.
  5. WeChat
    This also needs research, but I believe there are many people in New York and in the U.S. who use WeChat, China’s all-in-one social platform. Therefore, I would look into posting content on their app in addition to all the social platforms that are popular in the U.S.

Those are just vague ideas I’ve thought about over the past two days or so. None of them is revolutionary, but I think they could add value to a new platform that helps the tech community become even more informed, engaged and connected to each other.

One thing I didn’t mention, and perhaps the most important feature of any startup I may end up launching, is insightful and investigative journalism. I don’t know how low the bar is for these existing tech news sites, but I really didn’t find any examples of great writing on them. And whatever I end up producing has to include at least some investigative, old-fashioned journalism. There are many things happening and issues going on in the tech industry that are worth pursuing and I would love to see that happening – even if takes a membership-driven revenue model, but that’s probably a topic for another blog post.